Cake and ice cream. They’re undoubtedly a perfect pairing when you serve them side by side, and even better when you combine them into one big beautiful ice cream cake! Since I don’t actually own an ice cream maker, I hadn’t yet ventured into the world of making ice cream before (let alone an ice cream cake). That is, until I discovered The Curious Creamery Ice Cream Cake Kits. These amazing creations are made for people like me, because there’s no ice cream maker required! Just whip up the ice cream mix according to the instructions, layer it with some delicious cake (which is also included in the kit), freeze it all together, and you’re good to go!
The Curious Creamery makes ice cream cake kits in flavors like Birthday Cake, Cookies and Cream, and Mudd Pie. They make tons of other ice cream mix flavors (some of which you can customize by adding your own flavoring right into the mix!) but the ice cream cake kits come with the addition of either cake mix or cookie pie crust for you to make a decadent dessert in minutes. The best part is, all you need for the ice cream portion is either a stand mixer or hand mixer, some cold dairy, a little sugar, and a freezer. It’s like pure magic!
The flavor I chose to go with is Cookies and Cream, and my goodness, it was everything I’d hoped for and more. Immediately upon receiving the kit, I had a vision for the ultimate ice cream cake that seemed to come from the heavens. I pictured a sky high cake with multiple layers and flavors going on, so I opted for the Milk Bar approach to building it: use a 6-inch (leak proof!) springform pan as the base of the mold, add acetate strips to create the tallest cake mold ever, and fill up the entire thing with layer upon layer of flavor.
The Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake Kit comes with two tasty layers: a Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Mix that was unbelievably easy to whip up (literally took 5 minutes) and a Chocolate Cake mix that was fluffy and fail-proof (just add water!). Everything in the kit tastes great together, but the beauty of The Curious Creamery kits is that you can add your own flair if you want to. Since I wanted to have a lot of layers going on, I decided make some whipped marshmallow fluff and crush up some Oreos with the filling and all. That gave me a total of four different layers to use in my sky-high design. I decided to make it naked so you could see all the pretty layers, then added some fun piping and mini Oreos to the top.
I’ll walk you through the entire recipe for this delicious Cookies & Cream ice cream cake, but first, here’s a little video tutorial to show you how easy it is to create an ice cream cake with The Curious Creamery Ice Cream Cake Kits:
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by The Curious Creamery. Although I was compensated, all opinions are my own and this ice cream cake mix is truly as amazing as advertised. I was shocked at how easy and tasty it was, and I can’t wait to make more of the flavors!
Sky High Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Cake
Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Cake
- 2 packages The Curious Creamery Ice Cream Cake Kit in the Cookies & Cream flavor
- 1 1/3 cups (320ml) water
- 1 cup (240ml) whole milk, cold
- 2 cups (480ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 3/4 cup (154g) white granulated sugar
- 1 cup crushed Oreo cookies (about 12 cookies)
- Mini Oreos for garnish, optional
Whipped Marshmallow Fluff
- 2 cups (480ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 2 cups marshmallow fluff
Make The Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and prepare two 6 inch cake pans by spraying with cooking spray and fitting a wax or parchment paper circle to the bottom. Place the cake mixes (there should be one pouch in each box, so two pouches total) into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the water and beat on low until ingredients are incorporated, about one minute. Scrape down the bowl and paddle, turn the mixer to medium, and beat for another two minutes. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pan for five minutes until turning out onto a wire rack to cool for an additional few hours. Let the cakes cool completely before moving on to the next steps.
Make The Cookies & Cream Ice Cream
- Combine the chilled milk and 2 cups heavy whipping cream in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Add the white granulated sugar and contents of both ice cream mix packets and stir gently to combine. Turn the mixer to high and whisk for 3-5 minutes, until the mixture becomes wavy and creamy and almost doubles in size.
Make The Whipped Marshmallow Fluff
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the Heavy Whipping Cream until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Add the Marshmallow Fluff and whip the mixture on high until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Set the mixture aside.
- Prepare a 6 inch leak-proof springform pan by fitting the bottom with a cardboard cake circle and fitting a strip of acetate to the sides. Torte the chocolate cake layers into three half-inch layers and place the first layer of chocolate cake in the bottom of the mold.
- Next, fill a piping bag with whipped marshmallow fluff and pipe a layer on top of the chocolate cake. Sprinkle a layer of crushed Oreos on top of the whipped marshmallow fluff. Fill another piping bag with the Cookies and Cream ice cream mixture and pipe a layer on top of the crushed Oreos.
- Add the next layer of Chocolate Cake and fit another acetate strip around it to heighten the cake mold. Continue with another layer of whipped marshmallow fluff, then crushed Oreos, then Cookies and Cream ice cream, and another layer of Chocolate Cake. Finish with a final layer of whipped marshmallow fluff, and use a piping tip to pipe some additional whipped marshmallow fluff around the top of the cake in any style you like (I used Wilton Tip 1M to do a swirl border). Garnish with more crushed Oreos and Mini Oreos.
- Place the ice cream cake in the freezer for 4-6 hours, until very firm. After it’s frozen, release it from the springform pan and remove the acetate strips.
Have you tried The Curious Creamery ice cream cake kits yet? I really think they’re a game changer! Order your very own ice cream cake kit here and let me know what flavor you chose. I can’t wait to see what you create with these magical kits!
Awesome recipe I would like to get more recipes how do I go about it
Thanks, Seedikha! All of my recipes can be found here: https://sugarandsparrow.com/category/recipes/