I first made these Oreo truffles years ago during the holiday season, way back when my husband and I had the time to make cookie boxes for all of our neighbors and friends (aka we did not have a toddler yet). They were an instant hit, and since they’re super easy to make (only four ingredients!), I’ve been whipping them up ever since. They’re perfect for Valentine’s Day, the holidays, or any time you feel like making a bite-sized dessert that looks fancy without a whole lot of effort!
These Oreo truffles basically taste like a fudge covered Oreo, but with a soft center. The filling is made by mixing Oreo cookie crumbs, cream cheese, and a little vanilla extract until you have a moldable filling that can be rolled into balls. I love using Ghirardelli melting wafers for covering the truffle filling because they taste incredible and are absolutely fail proof. You basically just melt the wafers in the microwave, dip the truffles, and the chocolate sets perfectly with all the shine and snap you’d get with tempered chocolate. If you’d rather use tempered chocolate though, feel free!
The only tricky part about this recipe is dipping the truffles in the chocolate without making a huge mess. My favorite technique is to place the truffles (a few at a time) into a medium-sized bowl of melted chocolate and use a fork to roll them around a bit. Then I use that same fork to lift them out of the chocolate, let the excess drizzle back down, and carefully place the freshly coated truffles onto a lined cookie sheet. This takes some practice, but take heart that even if they are a little more rustic-looking, they will taste so amazing that it won’t even matter.
I’ve coated these truffles with dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate before – they taste delicious with any of those choices. To decorate, I simply top each one with some extra Oreo cookie crumbs before the coating sets. Sprinkles also make a beautiful topping. Regardless of how you choose to decorate, these Oreo truffles are sure to be totally irresistible to any Oreo (or chocolate!) lover. They make a really sweet Valentine’s Day gift, holiday gift, or all around day-brightener year round.
Easy Oreo Truffles
- 36 Oreo cookies
- 8 Oz cream cheese, brick-style not the spread
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 10 Oz (284g) Ghirardelli melting wafers (dark, milk, or white chocolate)
- Place the Oreo cookies into a food processor and pulse until they become fine crumbs.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (a hand mixer works fine too!), beat the cream cheese on medium-high until it’s smooth and creamy, about 4 minutes. Reserve 2 Tablespoons of the Oreo cookie crumbs and set them aside, then add the rest of the Oreo crumbs to the cream cheese. Add the vanilla extract and mix on low speed until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper. Use a Tablespoon to scoop the Oreo mixture and roll them into 1-inch balls, then place them onto the lined cookie sheet. When you’re finished forming the Oreo balls, place them into the freezer to chill for at least 15 minutes.
- Place the chocolate melting wafers into a medium microwave safe bowl and melt according to the package instructions. Remove the Oreo balls from the freezer and place them into the melted chocolate a few at a time. Use a fork to roll them around until coated, then carefully lift them out with the fork and place them back onto the lined cookie sheet. Garnish with cookie crumbs or sprinkles immediately after coating, while the chocolate is still wet.
- Let the chocolate coating set, then serve right away or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
I hope you’re as obsessed with these Oreo truffles as I am! Let me know what you think in the comments below and feel free to tag @sugarandsparrowco on Instagram if you post a pic! I love to see what you create.