I’ve always been a little scared to make ice cream from scratch because I thought it involved an ice cream maker (which I do not have), a huge time commitment, and somehow adding eggs to the ice cream without the end result taste eggy. Turns out there’s a much easier way: the “no-churn” method. I saw it a few weeks ago on Instagram and thought it might be too good to be true. After trying it out with this mint chocolate chip ice cream though, I am so blown away that I have to sing the praises of the no-churn method here. I can’t keep this recipe to myself!
This no-churn mint chocolate chip ice cream entered my life at just the right time. After a long and rainy Spring in Portland, Summer has finally arrived. The temperatures are even soaring into the nineties! Perfect ice cream weather. Mint chocolate chip is such an iconic Summer flavor, which is why I chose it for the kick-off of my ice cream adventures. Now I can’t stop thinking about all the different flavors and add-ins I want to try, plus some ways to incorporate it into ice cream cakes, so stay tuned for all of that!
If you’ve never made ice cream before, this is the perfect method to try. It’s not complicated or intimidating in any way. All you need are a handful of simple ingredients, a hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment, a loaf pan, and a freezer. Easy peasy. I did order an official ice cream scoop to get some satisfying scoop footage once the ice cream was set, but that part is completely optional. It does make it all the more legit though.
I could not stop marveling over the texture of this no-churn ice cream. After 6+ hours in the freezer, the texture was just like any ice cream I’d get from the store or my favorite ice cream shop. I thought maybe it would be more like soft serve but it was just perfect. I can’t wait to make it again and I’m kinda considering getting a separate freezer just for storing all my ice cream experiments. I’m a little obsessed. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do and feel empowered when you marvel at your mint chocolate chip ice cream perfection!
No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 Cups (480ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 14 Oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2-3 drops green food coloring* (optional)
- 1 Cup (185g) chopped chocolate semi-sweet or dark
- Place a large metal or glass bowl into the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to chill before you get started.
- Add the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl, then whip it with a hand mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form, 2-3 minutes. You can alternatively use a stand mixer with the whisk attachment for this part.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, peppermint extract, and green food coloring until combined. Gently fold the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the heavy whipping cream with a rubber spatula, then fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Pour the mint chocolate chip ice cream into a 9x5x3 inch metal loaf pan, cover with aluminum foil, and freeze until solid and scoopable, 5-6 hours.
Did you make this no-churn mint chocolate chip ice cream? I want to know how it went! Let me know in the comments below and feel free to tag @sugarandsparrowco on Instagram to show me. I love to see what you create with my recipes!