This strawberry buttercream recipe has been my go-to for years, and it’s about time it gets its very own recipe post! Up until now you might have seen this beautiful buttercream on my strawberry cake recipe and my strawberry lemonade cake recipe, but this frosting deserves to be a star all on its own. It’s silky smooth, bursting with strawberry flavor, flecked with bits of berries, naturally pink, and so easy to whip up. If you’ve been on the hunt for the perfect strawberry buttercream recipe, this is it.
Let’s talk about the amazing flavor of this strawberry buttercream. After many experiments with fresh strawberries, frozen strawberries, strawberry extract, and freeze dried strawberries, there is a clear winner when it comes to creating the perfect strawberry flavor without sacrificing the consistency of the buttercream. It’s freeze dried strawberries for me. Not only do they add powerful flavor to this frosting, they don’t add any additional liquid which keeps the buttercream consistency perfect for filling, frosting, and decorating cakes and other baked goods.
What are Freeze Dried Strawberries?
Freeze dried strawberries are strawberry slices that have been through a special drying process that removes all the liquid from the berry. This process amplifies the natural flavor in the strawberry slices while perfectly preserving them. Since they’re extra dry, they can be ground into a fine powder before adding to buttercream. The result is powerful yet organic strawberry flavor, the most beautiful all-natural color, and the ideal buttercream consistency for cake decorating.
You can usually find freeze dried strawberries at your local grocery store in the snack section. I’ve had great luck at Trader Joe’s, Fred Meyer, New Seasons, Whole Foods, and Target. If you can’t find freeze dried strawberries locally, here’s a link to get them on Amazon. Be warned though, once you realize how amazing freeze dried fruit is for flavoring buttercream, you’re going to want to try all the flavors. In my humble opinion, there’s no better way to create fruit flavored buttercream.
Strawberry Buttercream Flavor Pairings
This strawberry buttercream goes perfectly with pretty much any cake flavor. Here are some of my favorite flavor pairings to date:
- Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Lemonade Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- Vanilla Cake
- Lemon Cake
- Funfetti Cake
- Matcha Cake
This strawberry buttercream will enhance any baked good you pair it with. It’s perfect as a cake filling or frosting, pipes like a dream for cupcakes, and is just the tastiest strawberry frosting recipe ever. I hope you love it as much as I do!
- 1 Cup (23g) freeze dried strawberries
- 1 Cup (226g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) whole milk, room temperature
- 3 1/2 Cups (420g) powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt, or to taste
- With a food processor, grind the freeze-dried strawberries into a fine powder and set aside.
- Whip the butter using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment on medium speed until it’s creamy and light in color, about 5 minutes. Add the strawberry powder, vanilla, and milk. Continue to mix on medium speed for 1 minute, scraping down the bowl and paddle afterwards.
- Add the powdered sugar a few cups at a time and mix on low speed until fully incorporated, scraping down the bowl and paddle after each addition. Add the salt and continue mixing on low speed until the buttercream is fully combined and silky smooth.
- Frost 12-15 cupcakes with a piping bag
- Fill and crumb coat a three-layer 6-inch cake or two-layer 8-inch cake. To have enough for frosting and decorating as well, double the recipe.
Did you make this strawberry buttercream? I want to know how it went! Let me know in the comments below and feel free to tag @sugarandsparrowco on Instagram to show me. I love to see what you create with my recipes!