I am a chocolate lover to the core, so when I decided to create a vegan version of my favorite chocolate buttercream recipe, I was extra careful to make sure that not an ounce of flavor was sacrificed in the process. Rest assured, this Vegan Chocolate Buttercream is every bit as delicious as the real deal – it’s the kind of buttercream that I have to hide from myself so I don’t end up eating spoonful after spoonful! Whether you enjoy it straight out of the bowl or pair it with a cake (this Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe is it’s soul mate), it’s a frosting that’s sure to satisfy.
This Vegan Chocolate Buttercream recipe could not be easier to make, yet the results are outstanding – super silky, ultra decadent, and packed with chocolatey flavor goodness. It’s perfect for filling and frosting cakes, piping onto cupcakes, and pairing with anything that would be made better with chocolate buttercream. All it takes is five simple ingredients and about ten minutes of your time.
It all starts with a good quality vegan butter. I love Earth Balance sticks for this recipe, but you can use whatever brand that takes your fancy. Just be sure that you like the flavor of the vegan butter you’re using, as it will end up flavoring the buttercream. Another ingredient that will impact the overall flavor of this Vegan Chocolate Buttercream is the non-dairy milk you choose. I absolutely love this recipe with unsweetened coconut milk and soy milk the most, but any non-dairy milk will do.
This Vegan Chocolate Buttercream goes with anything that pairs well with chocolate, but my all-time favorite pairing is with this Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe. It is irresistible for a chocolate lover, vegan or not. Whatever you’re making this Vegan Chocolate Buttercream for, just beware – you’re gonna want to eat the extra by the spoonful. Consider yourself warned!
Vegan Chocolate Buttercream
- 1 Cup (227g) vegan butter, softened to room temperature I use Earth Balance sticks
- 3 1/2 Cups (420g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 Cup (42g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 Cup (80ml) unsweetened non-dairy milk, room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- With a hand mixer or paddle attachment on your stand mixer, cream the vegan butter on medium-high until it’s creamy and light in color. About 5 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, unsweetened non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium-low for a minute or two, scraping down the bowl and paddle as needed, until fully combined and silky smooth.
- Frost 12-15 cupcakes with a piping bag
- Fill and crumb coat a three-layer 6-inch cake or two-layer 8-inch cake. To have enough for frosting and decorating as well, double the recipe.
Did you make this Vegan Chocolate Buttercream? I want to know what you think and how you used it! Let me know in the comments below and feel free to tag @sugarandsparrowco in your Instagram photos to show me. I love seeing what you create!