I’ve been an admirer of Amoretti and their flavor selection for quite some time, so when they contacted me about partnering for their July flavor of the month (coconut!) I was a fast yes. They sent me their Toasted Coconut Extract and told me to get creative, so I got to work testing recipes and these toasted coconut cupcakes are just one example of the amazing results I had!
This Toasted Coconut Extract is so spot on for flavor. The toasted element comes through beautifully and the coconut doesn’t taste one bit artificial. It was so easy to add authentic toasted coconut flavor to the buttercream and cupcake batter with just a little bit of this extract! If you’re a coconut fan, you need this in your life. And lucky for you, I have a discount code for free shipping if you want to try it. Use SPARROWCOFREESHIP at checkout to claim it!
I made the cupcakes using my favorite coconut cake recipe, only I subbed the coconut extract for Amoretti Toasted Coconut Extract and scaled it down to make 15 cupcakes. These cupcakes are super fluffy and moist as-is, and with the addition of the extract they were packed with beautiful toasty coconut flavor. Perfect for Summer and beyond.
You could pair these cupcakes with just about any frosting flavor, but I went full steam ahead with the coconut theme and whipped up some toasted coconut buttercream to pipe on top. During the taste test, my husband and I were both amazed at how well the toasted coconut flavor comes through. I’m not sure how they captured that toasty element but it is SO good.
To decorate, I kept things simple by piping a swirl of toasted coconut buttercream with Wilton Tip 4B and adding some toasted coconut on top. To toast the coconut, just add some sweetened shredded coconut onto a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer, then bake at 325ºF for 5-10 minutes. You’ll want to shake the pan halfway through just to make sure everything gets equally toasted and a nice golden brown.
Whether you add the toasted coconut or not, these cupcakes are absolutely delicious and I hope you love them as much as I do! If you’d like to try this Toasted Coconut Extract or any other flavor, remember to use my discount code SPARROWCOFREESHIP when you’re shopping. There are so many amazing flavors to choose from, so get ready to be inspired.
Toasted Coconut Cupcakes
Toasted Coconut Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 Cups (157g) sifted cake flour* DIY recipe in notes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Cup (113g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 Cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp Amoretti toasted coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp (45g) sour cream, room temperature
- 2/3 Cup (160ml) canned full-fat coconut milk, room temperature
- 1/2 Cup (39g) sweetened shredded coconut
Toasted Coconut Buttercream
- 1 Cup (226g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 Cups (420g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp Amoretti toasted coconut extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp whole milk OR coconut milk, room temperature
- pinch of salt, or to taste
- 1/4 Cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
Make the Coconut Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/177ºC and line a cupcake pan with 12-15 liners.
- Whisk together the sifted cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer with a large bowl), beat the butter on high for 2 minutes until light and creamy. Add in the sugar and beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and paddle as needed. Turn the mixer to low and add the egg whites one at a time. Mix until well combined. Add in the Amoretti toasted coconut extract, vanilla, and sour cream, then mix for 1 minute on high.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix on low until just combined, then continue mixing while you add the canned coconut milk in a slow, steady stream. Mix until smooth, then gently fold in the shredded coconut with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cupcake tins and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Make the Toasted Coconut Buttercream
- With a hand mixer or paddle attachment on your stand mixer, beat the butter on medium-high until it’s creamy, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and paddle and add the powdered sugar about a cup at a time and mix on low speed until fully incorporated.
- Add the Amoretti toasted coconut extract, vanilla extract, milk, and a pinch of salt. Continue mixing on low speed until fully incorporated and smooth.
- When the cupcakes are fully cooled, prepare a piping bag with Wilton Tip 4B and fill it with toasted coconut buttercream. Pipe a swirl onto each cupcake and garnish with toasted coconut.
- The toasted coconut cupcakes can be baked, cooled, covered in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature up to one day ahead of decorating.
- The toasted coconut buttercream can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for one day. Alternatively, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. When you’re ready to use it, bring it back to room temperature and re-whip with your stand mixer to bring it back to piping/frosting consistency.
Disclaimer: I was compensated by Amoretti for my work of creating this recipe, styling, filming, photographing, and writing about their products. As always, all opinions are honest and my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support Sugar & Sparrow.